Sunday, December 16, 2007


I am sure by now you all think that I dropped off the edge of the earth. I am still here! On November 29th, I drove down to Palm Desert, to meet with the owner of a gallery on El Paseo. I took a carload of art with me. I carried the art into the gallery, unwrapped each one with beating heart, and did my best not to hyperventilate. I talked to the owner about the work, and what other things I have planned for my art. Somehow I managed to remain confident, and the meeting went the way I had hoped. The owner kept about 17 monotypes, and I walked out with a signed contract. One miracle.

While I was in the meeting with the gallery owner, my cell phone rang. I let the voicemail pick it up, so after the meeting, I checked to see who called. It was my father, telling me that my mother had slipped into a coma. It is astounding how quickly I went from flying high with joy directly to devastation. I drove home, and began preparing for another journey to Denver, to be with my family. Mom was in a coma for 3 days and 3 nights, and I didn't think I would see her blue eyes open again. I didn't think I would tell her I loved her again. My Dad, sister, her husband, and I kept a vigil in the CCU room, every day wondering what would happen. On Sunday after I arrived in Denver, she opened her eyes. Another miracle.

Two long weeks I remained in Denver, spending most of the time in the hospital. The day I booked a ticket home to Joshua Tree was also the same day my mother got to go home. Now we are both happily sleeping in our own beds, and not missing the endless parade of doctors and nurses of the hospital. I must admit that I have seen more of hospitals and the monster machines therein than I ever wanted. This was the same hospital where my sister spent many long days, so many years ago. She died of cancer when she was 22 years old. (I was 21)

It was cold and snowy in Denver, and the Canadian Geese had set up camp on the hospital grounds. I got a chance to snap a few photos of them, just for you beloved blog readers. I kept thinking "fly south, you silly geese!" But if you are from Canada, Colorado is south, I guess. The geese weren't overly frightened of me, but they were a bit bashful about having their photo taken. I got a number of geese rear end shots. It was too cold for a more involved photo session.

I am taking a few days to recover from the stress of this last visit to Denver. I am anxious to get back into the studio, to create a whole new body of work for the busy season in Palm Desert. If any of you are ever in the vicinity, please to stop in Christopher Morgan Galleries at 73-375 El Paseo!


coloredsock said...

hey Karine, you must be exhausted. i'm sorry to hear about your mom, but i'm happy she is home now and doing better. that is so nice you were able to be with her. i hope she continues to get better. and congratulations on your gallery contract. that is awesome...

priya said...

i'm glad you are back karine, and i'm glad your mother is home. i know how exhausting it can be to look after a loved one at a hospital. the contract with the gallery sounds great. next year i have to push my diffidence aside and try something similar with my work. you are an inspiration.

lee said...

I am so glad your mother is home and all is well. I know the what you mean, I also had a sister that died and two weeks later my mother had a bad heart attack, and I thought I would lose her to, but somebody was listening to me up there, and now she lives in the same city and I can keep an eye on her ......glad to hear about the gallery, keep us posted on the progress...cant wait to see what new things you are going to cook up in your studio.