Monday, January 19, 2009

Desert Mistletoe



I realize that I haven't been much of a blogger lately. Sorry! I guess I just haven't felt much like being on the computer. The good news is that I have been in the studio, so you will have images of new art coming very soon. Hopefully, I will also become more frequent with my blog posts.

Here is one new monotype, that I created just before the holidays hit full force. It isn't my favorite one, but I do like things about it, and I think the jackrabbit turned out pretty well. I drew the rabbit onto a piece of cardboard, then I cut it out. After I inked the plate, I inked the rabbit and placed him (her?) on top! I would like the jackrabbits better if they didn't eat every darn plant in my yard!!!

I leave you with another photograph of desert mistletoe, or phoradendron californicum. It is living off of a cat's claw acacia. I remember last spring, it was one of the first things to bloom, and the blossoms have the most beautiful fragrance. The bees love it! If you want to read just a bit more about it, click here. I tried to get a close up shot for you, but all of the close ups I took were blurry. Breathing too hard from running, I guess! I'll try again, but not tomorrow. Tomorrow I am going to watch our new president get inaugurated!!!

5 comments:

Archie and Melissa said...

hi karine!
i LOVE your jack rabbit!
wow!
xo
melissa

High Desert Diva said...

I like your rabbit!

We finally caved and bought a live trap. We're hoping to transplant the rabbits (who are currently eating our entire yard) to some BLM land about 5 miles away.

Tomorrow is definitely a TV day!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Karine! *waving paws* we got the prize in the mail today and the photos of your work do not do your work justice - this is really beautiful, the texture and detail and color is amazing. I am so thrilled to own one of your originals. I will hang it on my wall of inspiration and fame in the studio. Thank you so much! and please thank Pono for me for choosing our little slip from all the peanut butter flavored choices. We are the luckiest puggies and peeps around!
xxooo

ArtPropelled said...

I love the jackrabbit!!!

The expression on Pono's face in the last post is priceless. Very intent on choosing the right winner. Well done Nancy!

Anonymous said...

I created just before the holidays hit full force. It isn't my favorite one, but I do like things about it, and I think the jackrabbit turned out pretty well. I drew the rabbit onto a piece of cardboard, then I cut it out. After I inked the plate, I inked the rabbit and placed him (her?) on top! I would like the jackrabbits better if they didn't eat every darn plant in my yard!!!