Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tea and books

Today finds the desert bathed in warm spring sunshine. I am going to write this post, and then there's a very good chance I need to go outside and soak up some vitamin D. Spring Fever.

I have been busy in the studio, but now M is home for about a week. This means a little reprieve from the studio, while I follow him around the house for a while. WOW, but it's nice to have another human in the house. Pono is happy about it, too. M has two devoted "followers." One fuzzy one, and one, not-so-fuzzy one.

New work:
"Tea." Oil on canvas, 16 x 12 inches. ©Karine Swenson 2012
I've been reading a book called In the Land of the Grasshopper Song, which was lent me by a friend. It's about two women who lived in the Klamath River Indian Country in the early 1900s. I am amazed and impressed at these two women. I think this book could be made into a movie - and wouldn't it be nice to have a movie made about two brave women who aren't fictitious characters? Hello? Hollywood? Are you listening? Some of us are getting tired of the usual role women are squished into in your movies: looking for happiness in the form of love from some handsome man. Not that there isn't happiness to be found in love, but most of us aspire to more than Cinderella's fairy tale of love's happily ever after. Right, ladies?

2 comments:

Diana said...

Love this one....lots of movement and things to ponder...

Deb Ammerman said...

Fabulous painting! I'll have to look for the book you mentioned, sounds interesting.