Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Snail Mail

I love snail mail. A distant friend and I have recently begun sending each other REAL MAIL, rather than emails or phone calls. It is intensely satisfying to put a pen to paper and write to a dear friend. It is also exciting to look in the mailbox and find a letter. I think this may be my new hobby. I used to write letters all the time, and I have had many pen pals over the course of my life. It all got wiped away by the internet. Email. Skype. The dreaded Facebook. Maybe I am regressing. I don't care. Modern technology and instant gratification be damned. I'm reverting to the old fashioned notion that all good things take time.

The mailbox also yielded some other excitement today: a book!!!! Creative Photography Lab by my friend Steve Sonheim with Carla Sonheim. Some photos I took using my smartphone are featured on page 23. How cool is that? Well, I think it's pretty cool.


I met the talented photographer Steve Sonheim and his wife Carla in Salida, Colorado. Now they live in Seattle and I don't get to see them as often as I would like. This new book might interest you if you want to learn how to take more expressive photographs. There are 52 exercises in the book. I have only had a chance to skim over it, but so far what I have read is great. I can't wait to do more of these exercises! I am honored and flattered that I was included. Thanks Steve! You can see more of Steve Sonheim's work here.

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

Congratulations on having some of your photography published! Anyone who reads your blog can see what great pictures you take.

Patty said...

How cool!! It must be a buzz to open this book and see your own pictures - although having seen many of them over the years, its no surprise they'd choose them!