Tuesday, March 25, 2014

March 25th



Morning walks in the desert have become dream - like visits in spring time wonderland. There is actually less walking than stopping, looking, loving and photographing. Thank goodness for patient walking companions.




I have been busy teaching the online painting class, squeezing a few hours of painting in between. So far, the class has been a positive experience. It is exciting to see other artists, some of whom are quite accomplished, explore abstraction and push themselves outside of their normal way of working. I am proud of their courage! (and inspired by them too.) I think I got lucky with a great group of people taking my class. I feel quite certain that I will offer the class again, at some point.

In the studio, there are a number of different directions being explored. Some are still too new to share, but others are continuations of ideas you have seen from me before. I am working larger and making an effort to slow myself down. I want my paintings to reach a higher level of completion than ever before, to push myself beyond former notions of what a finished painting looks like. There has also been a lot of drawing, sketching and playing, just for good measure.

"hedgehog." Acrylic, gesso, ink, marker and charcoal on paper, 12 x 9 inches.

Little elephant. Collage, gesso, ink and charcoal on paper, 12 x 9 inches. 
"i love everybody." Oil on canvas, 40 x 40 inches.
What have you been up to?

No comments: