Thursday, February 1, 2007

Hong Kong, day 1



I arrived in Hong Kong this morning at about 7:30 am local time, after more than 24 hours of travelling. (That includes the drive from Salida, and some of the hang around time in airports.) That is a long journey! I am happy to be here, and SO HAPPY to see my long-lost husband. He has been here since December 25th. He is training for his new job with Cathay Pacific Airways.


Matthias met me at the airport, and we came back to his hotel room. We took a little nap, and then decided to get outside and hike around a bit. There is a big Buddha on Lantau island, which we visited when we were here in October. A tram will take you to the Buddha. We took the tram all the way to Buddha in October, and noticed a trail, running parallel to the tram. It is the trail they used when building the tram. It is steep!!!

It felt good to be outside without long underwear and a heavy coat, hat, and gloves. It has been such a cold winter in Colorado. I only had a long sleeved shirt on, and I definitely broke a sweat. I mean, there are butterflies flitting around! I tried to get a picture of a beautiful black, yellow and orange one, but he was shy, and made a hasty exit.

I did stop to pee before we began the hike, and what fun to open the door to the famous Asian toilet!!! This is the height of glamour, my friends. And you thought McDonald's bathrooms left a little something to be desired... Word of wisdom, always carry tp with you!

It was a nice hike, and I am glad we got some exercise. Here are some of the things I saw along the way. We also rode on a double decker bus to get back to the hotel, which may not be that exciting for some, but it was a first for me. We don't have many of those in Salida, that's for sure! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to see your pictures karine ... talked to the husband the other nite and really made my day. So very happy to hear from you guys and I love your blog and your snowy dog. so there! BillyB

Unknown said...

hey, thanks for commenting on my blog, Bill. Long time no hear from...
stay tuned for more Hong Kong adventures!