Friday, May 1, 2009

Desert Tortoise Love


We saw another desert tortoise on our morning walk yesterday. This was a fairly large one, and I squatted down to take photos and admire it. I don't like to get so close as to frighten them into their shells, and this one simply looked back at me and blinked. You wonder what sort of wisdom this ancient looking creature could offer you, if you could speak its language. (At least, that is what I wondered, as I gazed at its blinking eyes.)

We also saw our first Desert Mariposa Tulip yesterday. I have been scanning for them in the places I remembered seeing them last year. This one was discovered on our way back, and I almost wonder if it bloomed during the time we were out walking. Hard to say, but I like to think it bloomed just for me. How selfish is THAT???

We have a busy weekend coming up, and Matthias will be home for it!! Cool. Most of the things I want to do are art events, so he may not come with me to all of them. The first event is my friend Marjorie Franklin's lecture tonight about the digital side of contemporary art. I am really looking forward to it. For those of you who live here, it starts at 7 pm, at the Copper Mountain College in room 219.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Karine, is Joshua Tree technically a desert? I am constantly amazed at all the life you have just outside your back door. Have fun at the lecture! It sounds like a great topic.
pughugs to you and PonoDoggy...

bindu said...

So amazing to be able to see the tortoise on your walks! The Mojave desert tortoise is endangered. Is this the same one? I did a little project about them for my GIS class last semester, and so learned that they eat creosote bush flowers. That was such a sweet image.

Unknown said...

Nancy - yes. Joshua Tree is technically a desert. It is considered high desert, and it is a harsh environment. What I have found it that the desert is something best enjoyed up close. I walk every day, twice a day with Pono, and that is how I find so many amazing things.

Bindu - yes, this tortoise is endangered. I THINK it is the Mohave tortoise, although the research I did online was a little bit inconclusive. These tortoises spend 95% of their lives underground! They eat pretty much any kind of flowers, and in years of drought, they will turn to dry grasses and things for forage. It is amazing to me that they live here.