Friday, January 22, 2010

Painting and rain

Our weather has been most unusual and un-desert-like the past few days.  We have gotten almost 6 inches of rain!  I think that's twice the amount of rain we received for the entire year last year.  The air has been scrubbed clean by all of the rainfall, and the creosote bushes sparkle with tiny droplets of water clinging to their fuzzy seeds.  We have snow above 4,000 feet.  There are puddles everywhere, which Pono enjoys splashing in and drinking from.  (Despite my protests, he prefers muddy puddle water to the clean water I put in his bowl every morning.  Go figure.)

This one is called "El Nino" and measures 11 x 14 inches.

I have found the weather to be suitable for holing up in the studio with a hot cup of tea and my paintings.  I have begun a new series.  These new paintings are based on some ideas I had done in pastel a few years ago, and I wanted to try them in oil paint.  Here are just a few of them.

This one is called "Disturbance" and measures 30 x 24 inches.  The photo may be a little dark.
I am curious to hear feedback about these new paintings.  They are so different from what I was doing last year. 

I hope to get some of the new monotypes scanned today to post this weekend.  Have a fantastic weekend, everyone!

6 comments:

Carla Sonheim said...

Oh my gosh, Karine. I just love them. Especially the bottom one. Wow.

Wow.

emmet said...

i'm glad you're re-visiting these. i love them so much...
i miss you, sister.

ArtPropelled said...

Karine, I really love your new direction. For a second I thought they were water colours. Disturbance is my new favourite!

Chris Daly said...

I love your color values shading and light. Very appealing.

Cynthia Anderson said...

Karine, I SERIOUSLY like these paintings. Go, girl, go!! P.S. Thanks for your nice note about our furnace situation.

Patty said...

The marks breaking up the lines are exciting and energetic. I love these!!