Sunday, February 28, 2010

Las Vegas Art and Soul

Last Saturday, I loaded up the car with clothes, art supplies, and a cooler full of food and drove to Vegas.  I know we seem to go there quite often, but this time was something different.  This time I was going to attend the Art and Soul Retreat.  I have never been to a retreat like Art and Soul before, and I had no idea what to expect.  I wanted to go for several reasons:
1.  My dear friend Carla Sonheim was going to be there, teaching.  I haven't seen her in a couple of years, and to have her come so close to Joshua Tree without making an effort to see her was just silly.
2.  I love new experiences, and was curious about Art and Soul.
3.  I needed to do something for myself.  It isn't often that I take the time and spend money on something that is just FOR ME, and I felt like maybe it was something I should do.
4.  Art has become so serious for me - in light of my husband's upcoming furlough and my desire to make money so I don't have to quit painting - new pressures have affected my art.  I wanted to rediscover the "fun" part of art.

I nearly talked myself out of going several times.  I worried about the money.  I worried about taking the time away from the studio, and my most recent paintings.  I worried some more about the money.  I worried about leaving Mr. Pono the dog, who has a way of making me feel really bad when I leave.  I tormented myself and agonized.  Then, finally, I just told myself to GO.  So, I went.  I am so glad I did!  Carla and I had so much fun, reconnecting.  I took an Art Journaling class from Jan Harris, and have discovered something totally new and exciting.  I took Carla's drawing class and had a great day, drawing and learning from my friend and an artist I deeply respect.  I wandered up and down the strip, taking photos and sketching whatever caught my eye.  I discovered that I don't really like the strip.  I got to explore Vegas in my own way, on my own time schedule.  I met some wonderful people.  All in all, it was a great trip. 


I will be blogging more about Vegas in the next couple of days.  It's good to be home.

3 comments:

Patty said...

Karine, I'm SO glad you took time to take care of yourself. You are an amazing artist and a spectacular woman. Glad you enjoyed the re-charge.

Priya Sebastian said...

An Art and Soul retreat in Las Vegas sounds rather incongruous to me. So I'd really love to hear about what you saw when you explored Vegas in your own way.
Thank you for that wonderful quote you left on my blog. So true!
:)

Unknown said...

Karine, thanks for sharing your adventure. You have the heart of an artist, because you can draw inspiration from anything!