Monday, October 11, 2010

The visit

Last week, we had a visit from a mangy young coyote pup.  I was able to quickly snap one shot of its head before it turned and trotted off.  It went around the corner of the patio, and then decided to take one last look at the girl with camera.    
It's kind of hard to get an idea of how big he was in these photos.  He was maybe about 2 to 2 1/2 feet.  It was most likely a male, since females will often stay with the pack at this age. 

The temperatures have warmed back up to a more normal fall level.  (about 85- 90 degrees F during the day.)  I am happy about that!  The mornings are cooler, making for pleasant walks with Pono.

I told myself that yesterday was my last day to paint, so that I could focus on getting everything framed, priced and ready to go to Ventura, CA this weekend.  However, I just can't seem to stay out of the studio!  I would much rather paint than FRAME, of course.  I need to be more disciplined, or I will be suffering the consequences later this week.  I will be heading out for Ventura on Friday.  The festival, Arts in the Park, starts Saturday at 1 pm and ends at 9 pm Saturday night.  On Sunday, the hours are noon to 5 pm.  If you are interested in visiting my booth there, we will be downtown Ventura in Plaza Park, located on Santa Clara Street.  My booth is number 16. 

9 comments:

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Don´t these guys look "snorky"..what BIG ears you have!!! Nice head shot of him though...you should paint him!!
I have a girlfriend that has had two cats killed by these little buggers.

Tina Bluefield said...

what a beautiful wild creature...great shooting, Karine!

julie king said...

the peeking photo is just priceless, karine! i wonder if you could train him to come eat of your hand like the wolf on dances with wolves. :) i love to paint and collage but am a dismal failure at finishing things up, adding wires to the back, listing them on etsy and/or delivering the to a gallery. i think i need to hire an assitant.

julie king said...

the peeking photo is just priceless, karine! i wonder if you could train him to come eat of your hand like the wolf on dances with wolves. :) i love to paint and collage but am a dismal failure at finishing things up, adding wires to the back, listing them on etsy and/or delivering the to a gallery. i think i need to hire an assitant.

ArtPropelled said...

Very exciting to see him so close! You mentioned the Joshua Tree after I commented that we have a Yucca plant in our garden. I'm told its a Yucca plant though it is slightly different to your Joshua Tree. It is as tall and getting taller with bigger "fronds".

Priya Sebastian said...

The expression on the coyote's face is haunting and beautiful. Love the picture of the rainbow and your painting of the bunny.
I haven't been visiting too many blogs these days since I am up to my ears with stuff to do...you know how it is. But it has been a delight to see coyote pup so up close and personal.

Scott Bulger Photography said...

Great shots Karine!

Patty said...

I so admire your ability to see what's around you. You, my artist friend, are awesome.
Have a blast at the festival!!

bigBANG studio said...

Look at that great shot! Miss you so much and can't wait to hear how all the tours and festivals went when you finally get a moment to BREATHE! What a rockstar you are, Karine! Miss you heaps. xoxo