Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hong Kong

We spent a day in Hong Kong.  What a fun city.  It was significantly cooler in Hong Kong than it has been in Bangkok.  M loved the cool temperatures.  I would have loved it if I had worn my sweater.  Fortunately, the day did become warm enough for me to enjoy it, sans sweater.  We spent quite a bit of time riding the subway, but we also got to ride the Star Ferry across Victoria Harbor. 
A shot of Kowloon, taken from the Star Ferry.

Blurry Ferry in front of Hong Kong.  (I was on a moving Ferry, that's my excuse.)
Anything involving water is usually high on my list of fun.  Hong Kong has been reclaiming land on both sides of Victoria Harbor since the 1890's.  This practice has developed some opposition, especially by environmental groups in recent years.  If you are interested in reading more about the opposition, wikipedia has a good article about the opposing group, the Society for the Protection of the Harbour, here.  The ferry ride seems shorter than it was when we were here in past years.  Or maybe I was just taking too many photos.
Land being reclaimed (interesting word, isn't it?)


People getting off the ferry.
Any time I am surrounded by tall buildings, I spend a lot of time looking up.  I don't know why, but I love the way it feels.
There's more red in Hong Kong than in Bangkok.

I can't seem to get the formatting right with blogger AGAIN.  I must be doing something wrong.  My frustration is causing me to want to discontinue writing.  I just discovered my old blog posts from my visit in 2007.  If you want to read some of my posts from the last time I was in Hong Kong, you can find one of them here.  And another one here. 

2 comments:

Amy Schimler-Safford said...

Karine, thanks for writing about your travels - my son is heading to HK in ten days and then to Malaysia and Bangkok. It is interesting to see photos of where he is heading off to. Have fun with the rest of your journey.

Marjorie said...

I imagine Hong Kong is a tall building paradise. It was interesting to think there's more of the color red in Hong Kong than Bangkok. Is there a equivalent prevalent color in Bangkok?