Thursday, April 17, 2014

New Direction

Hello everyone! Lately, I have found myself unable to write about what I am doing in the studio. A new series is in the process of being created, and I needed to avoid words for a while and focus on image only. For me, painting is a way to think, a way to sort out the ideas in my head. When I write, the words seem to confound the issues I am working out in paint. Trying to describe painting in words - is it a futile endeavor? Perhaps. Or maybe I just needed to turn inward in order for this new work to become something. In any case, I think I may be far enough into it now to feel comfortable sharing some of it.

It all began when I was getting ready to teach my online class "Intro to Abstract painting." I had created a series of exercises designed to help artists explore and experiment. I wanted to see if my exercises had any merit, and began doing them myself. I had done many of the exercises before, years ago, in a modified version. As I was testing my exercises, I stumbled upon an idea.


small watercolor & gouache studies - approx. 6 x 6 inches


What if that wonderful, lively quality of watercolor or gouache could be replicated on a larger scale using oil paint? I have always loved watercolor. My first experience with painting was watercolor painting. When I am feeling stuck in the studio, or when I want to go back to the basics, I always reach for watercolor. I decided to try working from some small watercolor sketches.

Whenever you take an idea or sketch and push it to a completed work of art, there is always a transformation. In this case, I found I was exaggerating the qualities I love in the water media. I was not aware of this. It just happened.

"What Was Found." Oil on canvas, 20 x 20 inches. 
Above is the first one I finished. I have about five others in various stages of completion. I will be interested to hear what you think.

What do you see? Does this painting remind you of anything?

If you missed my online class, it is now available to take as a self study. Just click this link for more details.

8 comments:

Cynthia Anderson said...

These speak to me!
They remind me of pansies in my grandmother's garden.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Cynthia! Pansies have always been one of my favorite flowers. (and I have many favorites)

Anonymous said...

from another Cynthia.. i love them, I can almost feel them, very interesting visual :-)

Annie said...

Karine, These are lovely, they remind of of flowers and shells from the beach. xoxo

Unknown said...

I love these. Gorgeous color. Transcendental. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Cynthia, Annie and Becca, Thank you so much for your comments! I really appreciate it.

ArtPropelled said...

You've painted a most unusual, intriguing painting, Karine. I find it difficult to say what I'm feeling. I see pansies, cabbages, things that blossom and live together...... and yet they are separate, self sufficient, capable little islands.

Unknown said...

"separate, self sufficient, capable little islands" - I love that, Robyn!!! thank you for your comments. More from this series coming soon, I promise.