Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Sightings

The weather this past week has been as fickle as a teenager. It begins to get hot, and just when we are settling in to it, the wind picks up and blows the heat away. Today is cool and pleasant. It makes for nice walking in the morning. Here are some desert animal highlights, both from walks and from out-the-kitchen-window sightings.

Our friend "Bald Tail" returned for a drink of water. 


I would not have seen this coiled up rattler if Pono hadn't plopped down just 5 feet from it to get a drink of water from me. As I gave Pono his drink, I just happened to see it out of the corner of my eye. Effective camouflage!!! Once you see a snake on the trail, everything else for the rest of the hike looks like a snake! I call it "getting the slithers." It's good to be hyper aware at this time of year.

Another painting from the new series:
"Dissipate." Oil on canvas, 36 x 12 inches. 

2 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

HA! I had to laugh at your snake sighting, cuz I am the exact same way!! I am so spooked for the rest of my hike when I see a snake, even if it's just a gopher snake!!

Annie Coe said...

Love that coyote. Be careful, my dog Bella was bit by a rattler 2 years ago, not fun for her.
Love the turn your work is doing...
xoxo