Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Growing up

"Moo." Oil on canvas, 30 x 30 inches.
I have to say something. I have been holding it in for too long, and if I don't get it out, I might pop. Why do we think things that are cute or fun are only for children? Why is it that only children get to have fun? People see my paintings and drawings of animals and they say, "Oh! That would be so perfect for a child's room!" Or "You should illustrate a children's book!" Well, I hate to quibble with you people, but I did NOT paint those animals for kids. I painted them for adults. I painted them for me!!! I painted them for YOU!!!! And you know what? I think adults need stuff like this a lot more than kids do. Life gets too darn serious, old, boring and ugly when you grow up. If you aren't careful, you will end up surrounded by plain white walls, grey clothes, and one old, dusty book about something boring and serious that you've already read on your bookshelf. That's why you need me and my art. Because I know how to have fun. I know the value of cute. I understand what cute can do for your outlook on life. Oh yes. I do.

"i love everybody." Oil on canvas, 40 x 40 inches.
And we all could use a little more of it.

There. I said it. Have fun. Giggle. And jump rope for a while. Or swing on swings. And find something Cute! (preferably something with sophisticated shadows, just for an element of truth.)

3 comments:

Roberta Warshaw said...

Ha! I so agree with you! Love this piece!

Patty said...

You tell 'em! I'm gonna go find my whoopee cushion...

Anonymous said...

Ditto, Karine. I agree completely. As adults, we do need to giggle, have fun, and enjoy cute. On my desk in the office I have three troll dolls. I loved trolls as a kid and found these in a thrift store. I couldn't pass them up.