Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Second day of camping


The remainder of our camping trip to Mammoth was pretty eventful. We did a lot of exploring. I have never really spent much time near the Mammoth area. There is so much to see, and it is beautiful there. We drove up to some of the nearby lakes, and there was still quite a lot of snow. Pono was elated to see the snow. He loves snow and cold weather. He ran right over to the first big patch of snow he could find, plopped right down and rolled in it, biting and eating it as he rolled.

We explored some old mining cabins, and hiked around near the trail head to some of the higher mountain lakes. There was way too much snow for a hike up to those lakes, but it was a beautiful day, and it was fun to be up in the mountains, feeling the brisk air and smelling those trees.

I had an interesting revelation about my abstract art, on one hike we did. We hiked up to yet another lake for some fly fishing, and on the hike I noticed the slope of the mountain side. Now maybe I am a slow learner or something, but it was the first time I realized that I have been incorporating the landscape in my abstract paintings for a long time. I just hadn't realized it, because my horizon line is always at an angle, just like the slope of that mountainside. I guess I just had to get out of the mountains, live somewhere else, and then go back before I noticed this! Perspective is everything. Since I have spent most of my life in the mountains, I am sure my horizon always had a slope to it. It amazes me how the subconscious mind works.

We had intended to stay away three nights, but on Wednesday the weather became windy and much colder, so we began the long ride home. It was still a wonderful trip, and I am glad we got to do it. We are hoping for more camping excursions this summer.

I did some watercolor sketches of the figure at the life drawing session on Thursday night. I haven't worked from the figure with watercolor in a while, so it was a nice change. I will be listing more of them in my etsy shop over this weekend, so take a peek if you are interested! This is my favorite one, called "Perched". It measures 12 x 9 inches.

5 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Love the mining cabin.

Interesting revelation re: your art, too.

My 11 year old niece is here for the weekend. She gets so excited every time she sees one of the jack rabbits, and she was positively gleeful when she saw the baby cottontail...Parting Shot may be going home with her as a thanks for all your help gift!

lee said...

Glad you back and that you had a good time. Love your nude abstracts, my fav might be the one called seated woman in blue, dont know how you knew what my body looked like (lol) I also like the leaf, the colours you are using are amazing, so vibrant.

Archie and Melissa said...

hi karine!
your trip looks and sounds wonderful! i love that pono was celebrating the snow.
your art revelation is so cool! i love your abstracts.
hugs!
melissa

Without Shadow said...

Oh my goodness! Small world indeed! Is that Mammoth Lake you are talking about? I have been there!!! (well it was about a decade ago .. my brother lives in Calif so whenever I visit the USA he'd take me to all these wonderful places. Hated the camping and hiking parts at the time, esp sleeping in a tent, I must confess, but love the memories!!)

The most wonderful place I have ever visited in my life is Mono Lake. And what a miracle .. I actually got to go back and see it a second time.

Without Shadow said...

Darn. My brother insists that Mammoth Lake is not one of the places he took me to. Evidently I have got it confused with some other lake. However, HE has been to Mammoth Lake, which explains it. My memory is awful and I'm always borrowing other people's. Memories, I mean.