Sunday, October 5, 2008

New series of paintings


I forgot that I was supposed to post this photo yesterday. The only weak reason I have for my absentmindedness is that I had so much fun painting this first painting, that I did another one!!! The second one may not be finished yet. I am still thinking about that. It's also smaller, and so far, I don't love it as much as I love this first one. I will let you be the judge, but you have to wait to see the second painting in the series. (I didn't photograph it yet.)

This is acrylic on canvas (acrylic being a new thing for me!) It measures 6 x 6 x 2 inches. As you can see, the painting continues around the edges, which I think is really working. I have to tell you that this painting was inspired by Australian Aboriginal art, especially the art from the region near Utopia. My husband and I actually own quite a number of paintings from artists there. I have admired them for so long! This painting isn't nearly as wonderful as the paintings I have seen done by the Australian Aboriginals, but I had so much fun painting it. These are the quail that we have running all over the desert. They are called "Gambel's Quail", I think, and I have tried repeatedly to photograph them. But they are silly, shy little things, and so far have not been interested in having their photo taken. Hopefully one day I can have a photo for you. Until then, here they are in a painting, complete with their funny feathered tops. I love these birds!

Now, I must go to bed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I could tell right off that the painting was a nod to Aboriginal art, and I was reminded of the very cool paintings of Ron Potter.

I love it!

High Desert Diva said...

Fabulous. Love your inspiration in both the quail and the aboriginal art.

Here's an interesting book...re: an American woman's walkabout with aboriginees (?)

Mutant Message From Down Under

very interesting read!

bindu said...

Very nice! I like the way the painting wraps around the edges and continues. Nice adaptation of aboriginal art!

julie king said...

i love everything about these -- the colors, the shape of the birds and especially the way the design travels around the sides of the canvas! very inventive!

Archie and Melissa said...

hi karine!
i love seeing all the different styles and mediums of art you create. This painting is wonderful!
xo
melissa