Monday, August 30, 2010

Inspiration

Not only do I draw from nature for inspiration, but I look for inspiration from other artists, too.  Musicians, poets, writers, dancers, and visual artists are all part of the pool of creativity that I enjoy swimming in.  I wanted to share with you two artists who I have lately been inspired by.

The first artist is a friend I have never met in real life.  I know her as a fellow artist and blogger.  We met through an online class we both took from Alyson Stanfield.  (Was that almost two years ago already?)  Meet Patricia Scarborough, plein air painter extraordinaire!   Patricia paints in oil and pastel, focusing on scenes from her local Nebraska surroundings.  I am enchanted with her light-filled paintings.  Please take a moment to visit her website or blog and see for yourself why I love her work.  She also has the ability to put a smile on my face with her delightful sense of humor.  Patty, I am such a fan!
Tree Line.  Oil, 6 x 6 inches.  ©2010  Patricia Scarborough.

The next artist I have been drawing inspiration from lately is also someone I have never met.   That is because he died about 55 years before I was even born.  August Macke (1887-1914) was a German artist who embraced the avant guard artistic ideas of his time, melding the ideas of the Blue Riders, the Expressionists, Futurism and Cubism into his art in a unique way.  I have a tiny book of images from watercolors he painted while visiting Tunisia with Paul Klee, and I love the vibrant colors and abstract qualities of the collection. Macke also painted in oil, and produced some amazing paintings for someone who lived such a short time.  I do have a larger book with more of his paintings and a short biography that I love to spend hours with.  

August Macke.  A watercolor from the Tunisia trip.

I finished hanging eleven drawings at JTAG, the collective gallery in Joshua Tree today.  The opening is this Friday, from 6 to 9 pm.  I hope you all enjoy your week - September arrives!

1 comment:

Patty said...

Thank you sweet Karine, I am completely honored and humbled to be mentioned in your blog!
It's always a pleasure following your artistic journey.
Big Squeezy Hugs-