Sunday, February 8, 2009

Block Printmaking



I am excited, because yesterday, I printed my very first linoleum block prints! I have never done block printing before, and I wasn't really sure if I could produce something I would like. It took me a while to work out the composition. I had to remind myself that I was carving away the white areas and that the parts I left uncarved would be black. That was almost too much confusion for me, but I did finally figure it out. I decided to try a little composition with my favorite funny desert quail. I have had a bunch of them visiting me in the mornings, so I watch them while I eat breakfast. The best thing about these timid birds is the feather on top. It reminds me of a fancy lady with a feathered hat, and when they turn their heads, the feather bobs this way and that. It makes me laugh, every time I see it.



The photo above is a photo of the linoleum block after I printed it. You can see how the image is reversed. I printed ten of this block, and of the ten, I got eight prints that I was pleased with. The first two I printed were blurry, because the paper slipped on the block when I was applying pressure. So I had to figure out how to make the paper stay put. I am pretty happy with the results, and I am excited to try carving another one. It will have to wait, because I really need to focus on getting all this new work ready to show. That means framing, mounting, signing, and coming up with titles. I will admit that this is my least favorite part about doing art, and I am hoping I start to make enough money so that eventually I can pay someone ELSE to do my framing. One can dream.



Yesterday, we finally got some rain! We always welcome rain here in the desert. Everything looks different when it is wet, even the creosote! You can see all kinds of little green things growing at the base of it. My theory is that the seeds get blown all over the place, and they collect where there is something that will catch them. So that is why all the little green plants are usually found underneath a bigger bush or cactus. I could be wrong.

11 comments:

Guzzisue said...

may sound daft but use your computer to reverse the image to help when carving also easier to carve when warm.

love the birds, looks like they are pecking in the snow :-)

High Desert Diva said...

Love your lino block print. Sadly, we haven't seen any quail in our yard since we got Trux. Guess they're scared of him.

Love the last photo. That shrub has great branches.

Carla Sonheim said...

Great piece, Karine!

Thank you for all the recent comment activity. I'm way behind. Miss you!!

Amy Schimler-Safford said...

I love your lino print. I don't think I have ever seen a quail in person! What fun.

The Weaver of Grass said...

There is something very satisfying about lino prints - I think it is the good clean image and lack of bits and pieces cluttering up the composition - it has to be simple and gains something from that. Thanks for visiting - shall put you on my blog list.

ArtPropelled said...

Speaking of warm fuzzies...your lino print does that for me. They are such quaint little birds with the bobbing feather "do".

Unknown said...

Karine, this is one of my favorites of your work! I love the design. I'm glad you guys got some rain out there, maybe the Joshua Trees will bloom soon!
xxooo

Vikki North said...

Hello Fair Artist who does block printing,

We have been watching you. We are artist also. At least that's what they call us. You may even know us. We'd like to invite you to a member of our very Private Club. We're very selective and only an elite few are welcome on our hallowed grounds. We pick you.

We even have a little 'chit chat' room just for the likes of you. It's rightfully called Dante's Pub. But when your enter BEWARE! You are entering the abyss of the artist mind! You may not find your way out.

You're welcome to watch from afar while drinking your brew or pull up a chair and join us for a little chat. Be sure and register and then log in. After all, this is a very private club. We don't allow just any wanderer in our midst.

Don't dilly dally now! It wont cost you a pence. Check out The Artist Challenge and Dante's Pub- that is if your daring and think yourself worthy to be amongst the souls we've claimed?

Farewell...until we hear from you,
Master Mike and the Pub Wench

Artist Challenge- http://www.theartistchallenge.com/
Dante‘s Pub - http://www.theartistchallenge.com/art-forum/

Linda O'Neill said...

I love the Quail block prints! Nice job, Miss K!

Archie and Melissa said...

hi karine!
oh emmitt and i missed you while i was away!
happy belated valentine's day!
i LOVE all of the art you created last week!
your stick paintings and block prints are amazing!
xoxoxo
melissa

Anonymous said...

monoblock print, right?
i'm doing a printmaking studio right now (i'm relatively new) and i'm trying to figure out how to frame my intaglio prints. what did you end up doing? have you done any prints in the meantime?