Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Thank you to collectors and art appreciators


It is almost my bedtime, so this will be a short post. I don't know if it's the short days, but December is flying by. I will only be a gallery owner for another week and two days. Wow. Three years of owning a gallery, almost completely over with!!! It has been a success, but I am looking forward to having more time to focus on my art, and promoting my art. It should be good. Of course there are things I will miss. I will miss those moments when someone comes in for the first time and falls in love with my art. There is nothing as rewarding as connecting with a person who loves my paintings, and acts as though they have been missing out because they only just NOW have discovered them. It's so cool.

I guess it's a little difficult to explain how it feels to have someone respond so favorably to my art. I don't know why, but it usually surprises me a little bit. Not because it doesn't happen much. It actually happens quite a lot. You would think I would get used to it, or not be surprised. Yet there is a certain amount of self doubt that is always present for me about my art. I mean, if I thought I had already painted my masterpiece, I would quit doing art right now! The main thing that drives me on is the knowledge that I am capable of more. So I look at my work with a certain amount of dissatisfaction. That is not to say that I don't like my own work. No, in fact, I really love my art. I just know that it has not reached its apex quite yet. Even still, admirers of my work are so important. Essential, really. Sometimes, my flagging spirits can be lifted up tremendously by my fans. And of course if it weren't for people buying my work, I would NOT be able to continue to create. It costs money to keep making art. New paints, brushes, paper, canvas, and other art supplies are amazingly expensive. So I thank all those who have invested in my work, and in so doing, have invested in the future of my art. I would not continue to improve without you!! Mahalo.

The monotype I have posted today is one of the most recent ones. These look so much better in person. This one is especially wonderful from a distance. The colors are so vibrant, and the two circles in the center almost pop out like lights in a dark doorway. It is a fairly small monotype, about 5 x 7". I have titled it "lights in the doorway". Enjoy.

No comments: