Sunday, March 18, 2007

Successes and Failures


This is one of my favorite new monotypes!! I am experimenting with using LOTS of ink, which I may have mentioned, and this one actually got a big BLOB of ink, which created a really interesting texture. I know I need to sell some work, but this one has to stay with me for a while, because I love it too much to part with it at the moment. The title is "Opulence" and it measures 5 x 7".

It's amazing how quickly the days go, and then I realize that I should write my blog! I went to Denver on Thursday, to pick up a frame for the piece that will be going to Fort Collins for the National juried show next week. For those of you who are interested, and in the area, the show opens April 7th with a reception from 5 to 8 pm. It will run through May 11. It is at the Lincoln Center, 417 W. Magnolia in Fort Collins.

While in Denver, I also visited Sandy Carson Gallery, on Sante Fe Dr. They had some of my work, but haven't sold anything for me in over a year, so I went to pick it up. Even though I know it is the right thing, to not have work in a gallery that isn't selling, it still feels like a mini-death, somehow. I was so excited to have my work well-received by a gallery of such caliber, and then nothing happened, and the work is back with me. I know I am partially to blame, since I was so busy running Cool Mountain Art (my gallery that I recently closed here in Salida), that I didn't give them the attention or new work they deserved to have. What I've learned from this whole debacle is that I need to be clear about what I want from a gallery, and I need to put energy into helping them sell the work for me. Chalk one more up to experience!

The house has gotten plenty of attention this week, but no offers yet. In the meantime, I am photographing my new monotypes, and working on my artist statement and other promotional materials. I would like to have really professional looking promotional materials ready to go for California. I am also going to order some postcards with an image from my new monotypes to send out. All good things.

3 comments:

Linda O'Neill said...

BEAUTIFUL print, Karine. Don't worry about the gallery...something better will come along that will really showcase your work. At least they loved your prints (no surprise there) and lots of people got to see it. That's a real success in itself. Congrats on that!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your encouragement! I know "one door closes, and another one opens", so I am just reminding myself.

Carla Sonheim said...

This one is beautiful!!!