Friday, September 14, 2007

Art Boxes

I think I am finished with the two boxes I was working on for the show in the Colorado gallery (cultureclash). If you recall, the show is titled "the Gleaners" and it is art that is reclaimed, recycled, and re-assembled. I had these two boxes that I have been hoarding for a while. One had tea (Earl Grey) in it. I am actually not sure what was in the other box, but the design and kind of wood were the same, except it was bigger. I think they are made from balsa wood, because they are lightweight and light in color. I decided to use these boxes as my "canvas". I dug out an old Vogue book I have, with a bunch of photos of vintage fashions. Then, I picked out a few of my favorites, and drew them onto the boxes!

The first box I did was the tea box. I painted it with two layers of gesso, then did the drawing in pencil before drawing it in ink. I used watercolor to add just a hint of color to it. For some unknown reason, I did not want color on the whole thing. All of the fashions on this box were from 1927, so that is what it is called.


On the larger box I drew this woman in a white satin evening gown. She is so elegant by herself, that I decided not to put anything else on the box. I actually used acrylic to paint her dress - a rare thing for me. Then, just a hint of watercolor on her skin, to give her a bit of color. It isn't quite captured in this photograph, but in person it is pretty cool. The simplicity of it kills me. I am beginning to wonder if I should have just done one drawing on the first box. But no, it is a different thing. The larger box is going to be called "she doesn't have to be naked to be provocative". Or maybe "Woman in White." OK, so the title is still undecided.
I did put a couple of layers of acrylic coating on the finished boxes to protect them, and to seal the watercolor. I think that will seal the paint on the box. The boxes both took much longer than I anticipated, as things like this always seem to. I did have fun.
I discovered yesterday that I have two more of these boxes, and I have already put one coat of gesso on them. So maybe there will be a couple more of these boxes, depending.

It is so out of character for me, these new things. Recycled imagery. Representational. Illustrative. Small. I am not sure how I feel about that. I guess I will wait and see how they are responded to. If you have anything to say - good or bad - feel free to comment. I am interested!

3 comments:

Carla Sonheim said...

These are very cool, Karine!

lee said...

Lovely Karine, they look like them came like that.....

Anonymous said...

Karine, your boxes are very beautiful.