Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Rambling Along


Well, hello everyone! Happy Tuesday. I guess I have a bit of catching up to do. First off, I just have to mention how much fun the Sia concert was!!!! I loved Sia! She is really funny and charming onstage. More importantly, she sounded GREAT. Her voice just got stronger with each song. It blew me away. We saw her and her band perform in a small club just north of San Diego called "Belly Up". It was a great place to see her, since it was small. It was the first concert of her US tour!!! If you get a chance to see her, I highly recommend it. It did end up being a long day/night, but well worth the sleep deprivation, in my humble opinion.

Yesterday was Pono's birthday. I gave him a bath on Sunday, so he was sparkly clean for his birthday. I made him another recycled squeaky toy, and of course he got plenty of attention. Here is a cute photo of Pono and Matthias, post bath. Pono hates baths, of course, as any dog does. He DOES enjoy the part after the bath, when I rub him all over with towels. We call it "rubby rubbies" (yes, baby talk, I KNOW!!! Nauseating, really) and he gets so excited. That is the best part of bath day. Who wouldn't want to be rubbed all over with a towel??? It feels great!

I spent most of the day, yesterday and today, in the studio. I managed to finish two, well, three paintings, and I started a whole bunch of new ones. I also put layer number one on two larger paintings. I think both of the larger ones are extremely ugly, but I am not going to worry about it, since it is only layer number one. These new paintings usually have anywhere between 3 and 6 layers, so there's no point in getting too upset about it. I am attaching a photo of one of the new ones for your viewing pleasure. (It is at the top - 12 x 12", oil on canvas)

In news of the desert, I found a couple of Joshua Trees that are nearly there in terms of blooms. I have been snapping photos of these things like crazy, I am so excited!! I find that the buds remind me a lot of the protea, which is a favorite flower of mine. In Hawaii, I painted the protea quite a few times, and sold each and every one of those paintings. If I can dig a photo of one of those old paintings up for you, I'll post it. This is just more rambling, but when Matthias and I were visiting South Africa, where the protea has origins, we actually went to a botanical garden full of them!!! It was awesome!

8 comments:

kate said...

Pono looks most handsome as does Matthias. I talk to Lytton as if he's a baby too. My son just rolls his eyeballs to the ceiling whenever I do.

You are getting me most excited about the Joshua trees' blooms. I can't wait to see them. I imagine they will put on an incredible show.

It sounded as if you had a wonderful time at the Sia concert. You were lucky to have seen her!

lee said...

I call my sofie baby and talk baby talk to her (I vowed never to do that). She hates a bath, and therfore hates also getting rubbed with a towel. Love the new painting, and cant wait to see the Joshua tree in bloom

Archie and Melissa said...

Hi Karine!
Happy Birthday Pono! I love his post bath picture. :)
because you always make me smile,
I have shared a "You Make my Day!" award with you. Please stop by blog to read it. :)
Melissa and Emmitt

pRiyA said...

pets, sigh! how they melt our hearts.
what a glorious picture of the joshua tree bloom. more please!
and heavens, what a dedicated artist you are, there's been so much work happening...!

Linda O'Neill said...

Really like the painting, Karine...think it might be my favorite so far.

And a very Happy Birthday to that handsome boy, Pono. Maisie thinks he would be a real catch!

Carmi Cimicata said...

Hello there!
Thank you so much for visiting....we sure both love dogs!
I'll visit now that I found you!
Carmi

Anke Martin said...

Happy belated Birthday Pono! Oh yes baths, my parents dog doesn't like those either, but he loves to swim in the pond!
Can't wait for the Joshua tree to see blooming, bust be beautiful! Thanks for the progress fotos.
Smiles, Anke ;)

Nicole Solo said...

I love Pono's eyes! He is a gorgeous dog